Lack of Contemporaneity

 

During the first three years of my career (sociology), I didn’t saw any problem with its study programme, basically because I was expecting that “missing subject” to be passed in the fourth year. I am now ending my last semester with mandatory subjects… and it’s still missing.

I am talking about the lack of contemporary sociologic theory on the programme. The career is known for having a lot of theory, six courses actually, and one of these courses it is call “contemporary sociological theory”; nevertheless, it’s not that much of contemporary, at lease not as much as I think it’s necessary. That subject treats social theory clearly more contemporary than the classical theory (that in sociology case, it’s form around late XIX century and early XX century), but its still form the 1960s-70s, and the world, even in its social dimension, that changes slower than the political and economic one, has changed a lot, and we simply can’t correctly understand it with the same categories, systems, subjects, even words.

You may think that maybe it does not exist that “more contemporary sociological theory”, but it does exist, and it’s very well developed, and it has some very prominent authors. Authors that in my opinion, we need to know about to get a sociology degree.

I also think that it is not a change that it would be hard to make, and I hope that it will change in not so long. Besides this, I’m really satisfied with my career. Good teachers in general, good facilities, and a fair amount of workload. I’m happy here, and in less than a couple of years I’ll be a happy sociology of the University of Chile (but without knowledge of contemporary theory :c).



Comentarios

  1. In my career (anthropology) we see the same old theories and authors that have exist in the discipline for a whole century; it's in a way, to learn, but I'm waiting for read more contemporary authors and ideas

    ResponderEliminar
  2. It must be important to have knowledge about contemporary theory, I hope this will have some improvements later.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I think that all FACSO careers need updating. What is taught is very complete, but more current and contingency content is lacking, which is very important, especially in a social area, because it is what is constantly changing

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

My future job

Post graduate studies: one topic, many places.

My career choice